Thursday, November 19, 2015

Getting Wrapped Up and Cold Weather Running

I love Wednesday nights. And what a lovely night it was. The light was fantastic. The photographer in me wanted to chase the sunset.


The light alone on the bare branches was a brilliant vermillion. 


I teach low aerial in the evening. Low aerial has a special place in my heart. I enjoy regular aerial yoga but low keeps me grounded and centered. Class varies between relaxed asanas so the class feels more like Yin yoga and a restorative but rigorous class. I like to choose something to focus on. Sometimes the floor is lava and sometimes we open our hearts up to the universe. Last night was about wraps and increasing blood flow. Think of it like a water hose where you build up a pressure and then release it letting a rush of water out. Arm wraps, leg wraps, we did as many as we could fit into 60 minutes. The students are wonderful and adventurous to where I can say "I've never done this, but let's try this." It was a regular and I, which led to a very organic class. It was also joined by my dog who made sure we were showered with kisses. We ended with a fully wrapped reclining hero and baby seal. Classes always make me feel rejuvenated. Dancer is a nice wrap and has become a regular asana in my class.

When I came home, my fiance had decorated the house for the holidays. I definitely feel the season in the house. Nevermind the bucket and the upside down table. We have a stubborn rug that will not straighten out.


We live in a lovely neighborhood; very residential with older and, sometimes, rather posh homes. Most of the streets are well lit and in good condition. The sidewalks can be difficult to run on in the early mornings. There are many old trees with roots trying to escape their concrete tombs. 

I was smart this morning, unlike Tuesday, and checked the weather. I ran in my windproof jacket and made sure my ears were covered. The temperatures were still quite mild but the wind was rather fierce. Technology issues delayed the start of my run but it got sorted out. The first mile is always rough. My mind keeps asking why we are up so early. My previous dog would have refused to get up at this ungodly hour. 
After that first mile though, it was all smooth going. My pace was quick and steady. Stoplights were all in my favor. My breath came easily until the last 1/2 mile but I still found a burst of energy to finish the run. Obligatory post-run selfie

Dog was a serial pee-er this morning. I was off my fastest time by 26 seconds. I am glaring in her general direction. She doesn't care. She is very cat-like in that way. Yes, she is laying on the back of the couch


I've had a few people say that they run and then look horrified when I tell them when and where I run. Yes, I run at 4am in the morning. Well, that's when I wake up. It takes another 10 minutes for me to get out the door. Yes, I run outside. With the right gear, outside is feasible for most of the year in this part of Wisconsin. If I lived up north, I might sing a different tune. It is peaceful then. There are just a few people out; bikers, runners and people catching the bus. The dog has issues on leash so the fewer distractions the less crazy dog barking at the end of her leash. She is an alpha dog even though she knows I am the alpha female and pack leader. There is a silence and peace that I do not get with later runs. And of course the sunrises are awfully nice when I'm out late enough in the morning to catch them. This is from a run in Wisconsin Rapids. While there are times I don't want to get out of bed, I wouldn't want to miss this for all the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment