Monday, January 18, 2016

My First 5k- The Frosty 5k

Happy Monday! You survived the weekend and if you are by me, you survived this brutal cold.
Friday, I had planned on going to aerial yoga and stretch out before the race on Saturday. I went with my fiancé to pick up my stepdaughter to be (SDTB). She was joining me on this cold, winter 5k. Before we left, I picked up my packet from Fleet Feet in Brookfield. It wasn’t busy and I was in and out in a few minutes. When we picked up SDTB, she was excited to run. I was a little nervous as she was young and likes to run the shorter distances. How far would she leave me behind?

Race day, fiancé came down with a bug and stayed home. Girl’s Day! We got there early. It was my bad. I usually drive down to this area during rush hour and didn’t consider how fast we would get there. When we got to registration, the process was smooth and the volunteers were very friendly. I even got mistaken for a runner that another woman knew. Let me repeat that. I GOT MISTAKEN FOR A RUNNER. WOHOO!


There were roughly 190 runners and walkers. We all walked from the warm registration area to the starting line. The paths were a little icy. SDTB and I lined up close to the middle. We wanted to make a good start, not too fast and not too slow. The crowd of runners started to crawl, jog, and run forward. It felt like I was part of a river. I wanted to start kinda slow because I had started too fast at the Turkey Trot. SDTB took off. I saw her blond ponytail fly away.

Almost immediately, I started to past people. There were a few clogs on the paths with ice and only small parts of the path cleared. I was glad I wore my Xodus and Stance socks. My feet stayed dry and warm. I gave myself different pacers along the way. I kept going as pacers slowed down and some began to slow down, as others who started perhaps too fast began to walk. My feet were steady on the path. I caught up to my SDTB about a third into the race. We ran together for a while and then she was my shadow 20 feet back or so for the better part of the race.


I could hear my Runkeeper whispering out my pace. It started with an 11 min pace, and then a 10:30, then 9, and then back to 10 min pace. I thought it was lying again. I mean, I don’t go that fast. Do I?

The course was a loop and we had to come back thru the finish line. First time thru, the race coordinator encouraged the runners as they came thru. He called out their numbers and called out, “Water on the left.” As I came in, he added, “Jack Daniels on the right.” High fived as I went past, and asked “Where’s my Jack?” No Jack L

I started to feel my breath become a little labored during the last quarter mile. My left shin was unhappy with me. But I was almost there and added a little speed. I was hoping to beat a 40 min mark, wishing to beat 35min. I didn’t see my time but stopped my Runkeeper right away. It said 33:55. It had to be wrong, right? My Garmin didn’t save. It had run, but flipped out and didn’t save so I had nothing to confirm Runkeeper. While I was thinking this, I was trying to get my phone ready to take a photo of SDTB as she crossed the line but she was right on my tail. She ended with a 34:13. The race posted the results via email a few hours later. I was ten out of twenty one in my age group. My official gun time was 33:43:123. Runkeeper said my pace was 10:26 and it was my fastest time!

The race was great. I truly enjoyed it and look forward to my next 5k whenever that might be. I was concerned about the distance and not knowing how fast I should run. It all came together.

Sunday, I woke up and decided I draw the line at running outside when the temperature is below zero. Between that and the oh so prevalent ice, running another 10 miles was out. Our guest pass had run at out the one gym and the fiancé wanted to check out another place before we sign up. Hopefully, I’ll get some miles in tonight if we go look at the other gym.

In the afternoon, I had a chance to get new shoes. Some girls get excited about a new pair of heels, but I was giddy over my new pair of Brooks. I love Saucony. The girl who fitted me at Performance Running Outfitters loved Saucony too, but I mentioned I wanted something a little cushier since I was doing so much running and so much of it was on the road. We tried the Saucony Guide and Triumph. I tried a Nike and an Asics but the Brooks fit so amazing. When I took a test jog with the Triumph on one foot and Brooks on the other, the Brooks took the impact and I felt it so little, like I was on a cloud. The Triumphs were nice but not the same, and my heel was loose even with the special lacing. The Guides felt stark in comparison. The girl helping me said my stride look better and more sure with the Brooks.


It is time to retire my first pair of running shoes. It’s sad but they served me well. Maybe I should get them bronzed. Now it is Brooks Glycerin 13 to take me on the next part of my running adventure. My Xodus will still be a running shoe for tough terrain or sloppy weather, i.e. when I need sure and dry feet.

In the evening, I tried a new recipe from the Runner’s World cookbook. At my previous job, I had a favorite soup, potato leek. I was excited to try this recipe. It had just a few ingredients. I followed the recipe. It was simply potatoes, leeks, carrots and broth. Salt and pepper to taste. It tasted ok. It did not bring to mind in the least bit the soup from work. I would almost call it a stew instead of a soup. I added a little bacon and melted mozzarella over the top. I think it could have used less broth and more potatoes and a little bit more flavor. Still, it is good and low calorie. The potatoes make it very filling. No picture, I forgot. Here is Karn instead



This week I hope to step up my mileage. Not sure when and how considering the freezing temperatures, but I hope to get closer to what I was doing a couple of weeks ago. And do it faster

No comments:

Post a Comment